Over Millions in Verdicts & Settlements For Our Clients
$12 Million Boating Accident
$7 Million Automobile Accident
$3.7 Million Slip and Fall
$3.5 Million Motorcycle Accident
$2.5 Million Pedestrian Accident

3 FAQs About Personal Injury Claims Against Government Entities

If you were injured due to the negligence of a government entity or one of its employees, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost income, and other damages. But filing a tort claim against a city, county, state, or federal government agency is not the same as bringing a claim against a private citizen. There are certain procedural nuances to consider, and one small mistake could be all it takes to jeopardize your entire case.

To protect your legal rights and financial future, it’s wise to discuss your case with an attorney who has experience in claims filed against government entities. At Donaldson & Weston, we have helped hundreds of clients in personal injury and wrongful death cases, many of which were against government agencies. Call 772-266-5555 to schedule a free case evaluation with a personal injury lawyer in Florida.

Read on to learn the answers to a few FAQs about personal injury claims against government entities:

Who May File a Tort Claim Against a Government Entity?

Anyone who sustained an injury or lost a family member due to the negligence of a government employee may have grounds for a tort claim. Under some circumstances, though, sovereign immunity precludes individuals from filing a civil lawsuit against the state and its agencies. That said, if you were injured by a negligent government employee who was working within the scope of his or her employment, sovereign immunity may not apply.

Back to Top

How Long Do I Have to Sue a Government Entity?

It’s essential to act fast if you want to sue a government agency because the statute of limitations for doing so is shorter than it is for suing a private citizen. There are also additional steps that must be completed, but the specific procedures vary by jurisdiction.

If you want to sue a state entity, for example, you must provide written notice to the relevant governing body first. The agency will then have 180 days to conduct an investigation.

If your claim is denied, you have three years from the date on which the cause of action accrued to file a lawsuit. If you want to file a wrongful death suit, you have just two years from the date of death.

Back to Top

What Kinds of Damages Might Be Recoverable in a Tort Claim Against a Government Entity?

When suing a government entity for personal injury, you may be able to seek compensation for:

  • Property damage;
  • Medical expenses;
  • Lost wages;
  • Loss of earning capacity;
  • Home and vehicle modifications;
  • Home care;
  • Child care and/or domestic help;
  • Pain and suffering;
  • Emotional distress;
  • Loss of consortium; and
  • Loss of enjoyment in life.

Back to Top

Discuss Your Case with a Personal Injury Attorney in Florida

If you want to file a personal injury or wrongful death claim against a government entity in Florida, turn to Donaldson & Weston. We will not charge a fee unless we recover compensation on your behalf. Call 772-266-5555 or fill out our Contact Form to schedule a free consultation with an accident lawyer in Florida.

What Our Clients Say
The attorneys at Donaldson & Weston helped me get an amazing result on my case. Obviously I’ve been through a lot physically but I feel better now and the money really helped my family. When I was riding my bicycle I was hit by a truck that wasn't paying attention. I am not the suing type, but I would definitely hire this firm again. - M.P.
After my accident, i felt like I was being pulled in a bunch of different directions. I really didn't know what to do and all I wanted was someone to shoot me straight. The lawyers at the firm were so honest and definitely pointed me in the right direction. The staff was professional. I think it’s great that only attorneys work on my case, it definitely made me feel comfortable - D.L.
After my accident happened I waited to hear back from the insurance company for about 6 months. I just felt like they kept jerking me around. They even told me not to hire an attorney because it would mean less money in my pocket. I couldn't wait any longer because my bills were out of hand. I hired this firm and they were solid. I got a great result without having to go to court. - S.C.