Over Millions in Verdicts & Settlements For Our Clients
$12 Million Boating Accident
$7 Million Automobile Accident
$3.7 Million Slip and Fall
$3.5 Million Motorcycle Accident
$2.5 Million Pedestrian Accident

Are punitive damages available in a Florida auto accident case?

If you're involved in a Florida automobile accident case, punitive damages are available. The standard to determine whether punitive conduct has occurred is whether the defendant has committed some sort of act that caused your injury that had a reckless or wanton disregard for human life. Typically, what we see in most punitive damage cases is the defendant has basically driven under the influence or committed a DUI. In a criminal case, the DUI elements must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. In a civil case, the elements only need to be proven by a greater weight of the evidence. It's actually easier in civil cases to prove that the defendant was DUI.

What Our Clients Say
The attorneys at Donaldson & Weston helped me get an amazing result on my case. Obviously I’ve been through a lot physically but I feel better now and the money really helped my family. When I was riding my bicycle I was hit by a truck that wasn't paying attention. I am not the suing type, but I would definitely hire this firm again. - M.P.
After my accident, i felt like I was being pulled in a bunch of different directions. I really didn't know what to do and all I wanted was someone to shoot me straight. The lawyers at the firm were so honest and definitely pointed me in the right direction. The staff was professional. I think it’s great that only attorneys work on my case, it definitely made me feel comfortable - D.L.
After my accident happened I waited to hear back from the insurance company for about 6 months. I just felt like they kept jerking me around. They even told me not to hire an attorney because it would mean less money in my pocket. I couldn't wait any longer because my bills were out of hand. I hired this firm and they were solid. I got a great result without having to go to court. - S.C.