Boca Raton Elder Abuse
Few things are more heart wrenching than learning that a loved one was injured or killed due to abuse or neglect in a nursing home facility. The Boca Raton elder abuse lawyers at Donaldson & Weston understand your pain and frustration. We will review your case for free to determine if you have grounds for a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit.
Our nursing home neglect attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, so you don’t have to pay anything to take advantage of our legal services. Call 561-299-3999 today to speak with an elder abuse lawyer in Boca Raton.Important Evidence in Florida Elder Abuse and Neglect Cases
One of the many reasons why you should hire an attorney right away is to begin the investigation as soon as possible. It is unlikely that the nursing home or at-fault caregiver will admit to their wrongdoing, and they may even try to cover up evidence.
The nursing home abuse lawyers at Donaldson & Weston will perform an immediate investigation into your loved one’s mistreatment. Depending on the circumstances of your case, the following evidence may play a critical role in proving liability:
- Nursing Home Charts: The nursing home will have charts that show which caregivers were treating your loved one, which medications he or she was taking and when, your loved one's physical condition, and other key details. These charts may help your lawyer prove that the nursing home was understaffed, your loved one was given the wrong medication or dosage, or other negligent conduct occurred.
- Staff Logs: This will show which caregivers were working when your loved one was injured, as well as the resident-to-staff ratio when the injury occurred.
- Medical Records: Your elder abuse attorney will use your loved one's medical records to demonstrate the severity of the injury and possibly to prove its cause.
- Photos: Photographs of injuries, your loved one's living conditions, and the hazard that caused the injury (if applicable) can be used to prove liability.
- Surveillance Footage: If the nursing home has surveillance cameras, they may have captured the abuse or neglect taking place.
- Witness Testimony: If anyone witnessed the negligence or abuse, their testimony will be valuable for proving your claim. The Boca Raton elder abuse attorneys at Donaldson & Weston will speak with nursing home staff and residents to find out if they saw the incident and whether other residents have suffered the same mistreatment. We can also speak with medical experts if the nursing home denies that a particular health condition or injury was a result of negligence or abuse.
The success of your case will hinge on the strength of your evidence, but the facility or caregiver might alter the evidence to cover up negligence. The attorneys at Donaldson & Weston understand the importance of investigating these cases quickly. We will file subpoenas for evidence if the nursing home does not cooperate, and we will make sure your claim is as strong as possible before we enter settlement negotiations. Call 561-299-3999 or send us a message using our contact form to schedule a free, no-obligation case review.