Boca Raton Nursing Home Neglect
You may have thought that nursing home neglect or abuse could never happen to your loved one. After all, why would someone mistreat an elderly person? Unfortunately, nursing home neglect and abuse are growing problems in Boca Raton and throughout Florida.
If your loved one was abused, neglected, or financially exploited at a long-term care facility, contact the Boca Raton nursing home neglect lawyers at Donaldson & Weston. We are well-versed in the laws that govern nursing home tort claims. Our attorneys will help you pursue justice and the maximum compensation from the at-fault caregiver and/or facility. Call 561-299-3999 to set up a free case assessment.Rights of Nursing Home Residents in Florida
Florida Statute 400.022 outlines specific rights of nursing home residents. If a facility or caregiver violates these rights and a resident sustains an injury or illness as a result, the victim—or the victim's surviving family—can bring a claim against all liable parties.
Summarized below are the rights of nursing home residents in the state of Florida:
- The right to religious and civil liberties including the right to independent personal decisions;
- The right to refuse social, legal, medical, or other services;
- The right to express grievances on behalf of him- or herself or others;
- The right to organize and participate in resident groups;
- The right to participate in religious, communal, and social activities;
- The right to review the results of the most recent facility inspection;
- The right to manage his or her personal finances or to delegate that responsibility to the licensee;
- The right to written or oral information about medical services available at the facility and their cost;
- The right to be informed about his or her medical condition and suggested treatment;
- The right to adequate medical care and support;
- The right to privacy in treatment and in caring for personal needs;
- The right to being treated fairly, courteously, and with dignity;
- Freedom from physical and mental abuse, involuntary seclusion, and chemical or physical restraints ; and
- Freedom to choose his or her own physician and pharmacy.
If you recently discovered that your loved one was a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, you should take immediate action to protect your family member and other residents from further mistreatment. Here are a few steps you should take right away:
- Report the incident to the Department of Elder Affairs by calling 1-800-96-ABUSE.
- Collect information about the incident. Take pictures of any injuries and/or your loved one's living conditions. Compile medical records. Interview other residents and caregivers about the mistreatment. Report the incident to the nursing home if you have not already done so.
- Have your loved one removed from the nursing home.
- Contact a Boca Raton nursing home abuse lawyer to discuss your case.
The Boca Raton nursing home neglect lawyers at Donaldson & Weston will evaluate your case for free and help you determine the most strategic way to proceed. Send us a message online or call our law firm at 561-299-3999 to set up a consultation.