Florida Car Accident
All it takes is one drunk, distracted, or reckless driver to cause a serious wreck that changes your life forever. Although there is no foolproof way to avoid motor vehicle collisions short of staying off the roads entirely, you may be able to recover the compensation you need to pay for any accident-related expenses by filing a personal injury claim. The Florida car accident attorneys at Donaldson & Weston can help you navigate every stage of the claims process.
After evaluating your case in a free consultation, we will conduct an investigation into your collision to identify all potentially liable parties. We will then help you build a strong claim against each one by gathering evidence of fault, interviewing witnesses, and possibly arranging expert witness testimony.
We can come to you if you cannot come to us. Call 772-266-5555 to schedule a free case evaluation with a Florida car accident lawyer.How Much Is My Florida Car Accident Claim Worth?
Settlements and verdicts in personal injury claims can vary immensely. Some cases are worth a few thousand dollars while others result in multimillion-dollar payouts. Factors that can influence the value of your claim include:
- The severity of the injuries that you sustained and the extent of their lasting repercussions;
- Your own percentage of liability;
- The strength of the evidence available to support your claim; and
- Whether the liable party acted with intentional misconduct or gross negligence.
If you sustained a traumatic brain injury that is going to have lifelong consequences, for example, you might recover a relatively large settlement that includes ongoing medical care, homecare, and loss of earning capacity. Likewise, lawsuits against drivers who acted with gross negligence or intentional misconduct can result in substantial monetary awards because they may include punitive damages. Sustaining minor injuries, on the other hand, may yield a settlement just large enough to cover costs like medical bills, lost wages, and property damage.Importance of Consulting a Florida Car Accident Lawyer Right Away
If you were seriously injured, you might think it best to put off your claim until your condition has improved. Unfortunately, the insurance company will get to work right away to find reasons to deny your claim or reduce its value. But if you have a skilled attorney by your side from the very start, the insurer won’t be able to take advantage of your vulnerable position.
Here are just a few reasons to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible:
- Evidence May Not Be Available Indefinitely: The more evidence your car accident attorney has to support your claim and the stronger it is, the higher your chances of recovering a fair settlement. But valuable evidence may be altered or destroyed if your attorney is unable to investigate your case right away. For example, surveillance cameras at nearby businesses may have recorded the crash, but that footage might be overwritten after just a few weeks. It’s also possible for witnesses to change their contact information or to forget important details about the incident.
- One Misguided Statement Could Jeopardize Your Entire Case: The insurance company will want to learn the facts surrounding your crash, and they’ll most likely call you within just a few days of the accident to get a statement. That phone call will very likely be recorded, so if you inadvertently say something that brings liability or the severity of your injuries into question, it might reduce your chances of recovering a fair settlement. Your Florida car accident lawyer can handle all correspondence with the insurer on your behalf so you don’t provide a statement that would harm your case.
- Mistakes Early in the Proceedings Can Prove Costly: Besides giving the insurance adjuster a recorded statement, there’s a multitude of other mistakes that could derail your claim. If you mention your accident or injuries on social media, for example, your posts might be taken out of context by the insurance adjuster to challenge your claim. If you don’t take your healthcare seriously, the insurer might argue that you’ve failed to mitigate your damages. At Donaldson & Weston, we can help you avoid critical errors and oversights early in the proceedings that might lead to disputes, delays, and complications down the road.
- Strict Deadlines Apply to Personal Injury Lawsuits: In the state of Florida, car accident victims have a limited amount of time to bring their cases to court if the opposing party refuses to pay a fair settlement. If you miss this deadline, your lawsuit will almost certainly be dismissed. Because it could take several months to perform the investigation and negotiate for a settlement, it’s important that you initiate the proceedings as soon as possible.
In the state of Florida, car accident victims who were seriously injured may be able to recover compensation for the following damages:
- Reasonable and necessary medical costs (past and future);
- Lost income and lost earning capacity;
- Property damage;
- Other economic damages;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress;
- Hedonic damages; and
- Punitive damages, if the at-fault party acted with intentional malice or gross negligence.
Regardless of the value of your claim, you deserve respect from the insurance company. You also deserve attentive, quality counsel from your Florida car accident lawyer.
The legal team at Donaldson & Weston understands how devastating the aftermath of a serious car accident can be for victims and their loved ones. We provide compassionate and aggressive representation to victims of personal injury and wrongful death throughout Florida.Call 772-266-5555 to Discuss Your Case with a Florida Car Accident Lawyer Today!
The personal injury lawyers at Donaldson & Weston are proud to help accident victims pursue the compensation they are entitled to from the parties who have wronged them. We will give your case our undivided attention during every stage of the proceedings.
Our car accident attorneys know how challenging it can be to cope with the physical, emotional, and financial effects of a serious collision. Let us help you navigate through this difficult chapter. Call 772-266-5555 or fill out our Contact Form to schedule a free consultation.