Florida Drunk Driving Accident
When people get behind the wheel while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, they not only put their own lives at risk but also threaten the safety of everyone around them. Even the most experienced and safety-conscious motorists can end up in a catastrophic collision with a drunk driver.
Fortunately, motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians who sustain injuries in alcohol-related crashes may be able to hold the liable party financially accountable for their damages. If you were hurt in a collision with an impaired driver, the Florida drunk driving accident lawyers at Donaldson & Weston will evaluate the circumstances of your wreck to determine the most strategic way to proceed.
We are proud to help DUI accident victims recover compensation for medical bills, lost income, emotional distress, and other damages. Call us today at 772-266-5555 to schedule a free consultation with an injury attorney in Florida.We Will Dig Deep to Gather Evidence of Liability
Proving liability can be complicated in any personal injury case. If you were injured in a crash with an intoxicated driver, the attorneys at Donaldson & Weston can help you gather the following evidence to prove fault:
- Authenticated results from any chemical tests;
- The responding officer’s assessment of the motorist’s condition immediately following the wreck;
- Authenticated documents detailing any subsequent criminal proceedings;
- The responding officer’s testimony regarding the results of any field sobriety tests conducted at the scene; and
- The official police report.
The same kinds of evidence you might gather to prove liability in a regular motor vehicle collision can also contribute to your drunk driving accident claim. These include:
- Eyewitness testimony;
- Expert witness testimony;
- Dash cam recordings;
- Surveillance footage; and
- Photographs of the scene.
Since it is possible to file a civil suit alongside any criminal proceedings, you do not have to wait until the motorist is convicted of DUI to pursue compensation. In fact, it is wise to call an injury attorney as soon as possible following a drunk driving accident in Florida.
The sooner you enlist the help of an attorney at Donaldson & Weston, the sooner we can investigate your collision and start building your case. Hiring a lawyer from the start will help you avoid mistakes early in the proceedings that would jeopardize your claim. Additionally, some of the strongest evidence that might contribute to your case could be time sensitive and may not be available within a few days of your collision.What Sets Donaldson & Weston Apart From Other Law Firms in Florida?
There are plenty of law firms that represent drunk driving accident victims, but at Donaldson & Weston, our practice exclusively handles personal injury cases. That means our attorneys are well-versed in the case law and statutes pertaining to tort claims, and they have extensive experience gathering evidence of liability, proving damages, and negotiating with major insurance providers.
When it comes to personal injury law, we’ve seen it all. We can help you navigate every step of the proceedings and avoid unnecessary delays and disputes.
Regardless of the scope of your claim or the size of the potential payout, you can rest assured that our lawyers will devote the time and resources needed to help you pursue the best outcome possible. We provide personalized and attentive counsel to every one of our clients.
If you were hurt in a collision with an impaired motorist, you may be entitled to compensation for healthcare bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and other economic and non-economic damages. We’ll handle all the logistics of your case, but you’ll be informed every step of the way about the progress of your claim and any developments or disputes. You’ll be able to focus on healing and taking care of your family while we represent your interests.How Long Will it Take to Resolve My Case?
In the wake of a drunk driving accident, the damages can add up fast. For this reason, most victims are fairly motivated to settle and hope to resolve their claim as quickly as possible. Since every personal injury case is different, though, there’s no standard timeline for resolving them.
There’s also no way to predict how long it might take to arrive at a settlement before investigating your case. There are many variables that can influence the duration of the proceedings, such as:
- The severity of the injuries and the time it takes to reach maximum medical improvement;
- The strength of any evidence of fault or damages;
- Whether the insurance adjuster is willing to cooperate;
- Whether multiple parties are liable—for instance, depending on the circumstances, both the impaired motorist and the party that served him or her prior to the accident may share fault;
- Whether you were partially liable; and
- Whether the case goes to court.
Building a strong drunk driving accident claim may seem fairly straightforward, especially if the motorist was arrested and charged, but making even a minor misstep during the proceedings could jeopardize your entire case. If you were involved in a collision with an impaired motorist, avoid making these mistakes in the aftermath:
- Postponing medical care;
- Postponing legal counsel;
- Posting about the accident or your injuries on social media;
- Providing a recorded statement before knowing the full extent of the damages;
- Accepting fault;
- Negotiating for a settlement before reaching maximum medical improvement; and
- Responding to phone calls and emails from the insurance company rather than directing this correspondence to your lawyer.
If you sustained debilitating injuries in a crash with a drunk driver, you probably have a lot of questions about holding him or her financially accountable. The drunk driving accident lawyers at Donaldson & Weston are here to provide the answers.
Our clients appreciate the knowledge, resources, and dedication we bring to their claims, as well as our commitment to keeping them fully informed of the proceedings every step of the way. Call us today at 772-266-5555 or use our Contact Form to arrange a free case evaluation with an accident attorney in Florida.