Martin County Car Accidents
Regardless of how safety conscious you might be when behind the wheel, driving always poses certain risks. Impaired motorists, damaged roadways, malfunctioning vehicles, and distracted drivers are just a few of the dangers you face when maneuvering in traffic.
Of course, that still means millions of people are involved in collisions every single year. If you were hurt in a crash that was not your fault, turn to the Martin County car accident attorneys at Donaldson & Weston.
We will evaluate your case for free and provide comprehensive legal guidance during every stage of the claims process. Call 772-266-5555 to schedule a consultation with one of our compassionate injury lawyers.We Handle Cases Involving all Kinds of Collisions
There are several different kinds of car crashes, and our seasoned legal team is familiar with all of them. We know how to gather evidence of liability and damages for claims involving:
- Drunk driving accidents;
- Rear-end collisions;
- Hit-and-run accidents;
- Truck accidents;
- Multi-vehicle pileups;
- Head-on collisions;
- Sideswipe accidents; and
- Side-impact crashes.
In some cases, yes, punitive damages can be awarded after a collision. Our Martin County car accident lawyers can review the facts of your case to determine if exemplary damages might be available.
To obtain a punitive award, you must be able to demonstrate how the defendant’s actions constituted intentional misconduct or gross negligence. Gross negligence means the defendant exhibited indifference or a conscious disregard for the rights, safety, or life of another person.
Simply being rear-ended by another driver doesn’t mean he or she was acting with gross negligence. But if you were hit by a drunk motorist or if the at-fault driver fled the scene, this may constitute gross negligence and therefore warrant a punitive award.
At Donaldson & Weston, we are well-versed in the case law and statutes pertaining to exemplary damages awards in Florida. We can make sure your claim accounts for all potentially recoverable damages.Qualities to Look for in a Martin County Car Accident Attorney
There are dozens of personal injury lawyers in Martin County who accept car accident cases, but not every attorney offers high-quality representation. Some lawyers are unwilling or unable to commit the time, effort, and resources needed to pursue the best possible outcome in every claim they handle.
Here are just a few qualities to consider when hiring an accident lawyer:
- Track Record of Success: If the attorney has a record of achieving substantial settlements and verdicts for car accident victims, that’s a good sign that he or she has the skills and resources to provide effective representation. Ask if the prospective lawyer has handled cases involving accident scenarios and injuries that are similar to yours. At Donaldson & Weston, we’ve achieved six- and seven-figure financial recoveries in a wide array of car accident cases, so we can tailor our strategies to the unique facts of your claim.
- Knowledge of Relevant Statutes and Case Law: Your lawyer should have no problem explaining the case law and statutes pertaining to your claim.
- Litigation Experience: A well-credentialed trial lawyer won’t be afraid to take your case to court if the insurer won’t pay a fair settlement. The seasoned trial attorneys at Donaldson & Weston have the litigation experience to take on even the largest insurance companies in Florida. In fact, we always enter settlement negotiations prepared for trial so the opposing party knows we’re willing to go to court if they refuse to cooperate.
- Integrity: You should be wary of hiring an attorney who guarantees a particular result for your case. Even if your claim seems strong, no lawyer who practices with integrity would ever promise a specific outcome. Your attorney should be willing to discuss both the strengths and weaknesses of your claim so you’re prepared for all eventualities.
- Compassion: Does the attorney seem apathetic or genuinely interested in your case? The best attorneys recognize the physical, emotional, and financial adversity their clients are facing, and this motivates them to go above and beyond when fighting for the highest settlement possible.
If you were hurt in any of the above scenarios, you can begin the claims process by scheduling an initial consultation. We will use the first meeting to discuss the circumstances of the crash and determine the most strategic way to proceed. We will ask about your injuries and the various costs you have already incurred so we can start tracking your damages. Because recovering from serious injuries is both physically exhausting and mentally draining, we will handle all the logistics of your case so you can focus on your health.
You can ensure the claim gets off to a solid start by preparing for the initial consultation. You can do this by:
- Gathering all medical records, prescriptions, hospital bills, and pharmacy receipts;
- Compiling any evidence you obtained at the scene such as photographs of the wreckage and the names and contact information of any eyewitnesses;
- Starting a journal in which you write about how the injuries are affecting everyday life;
- Writing down everything you can remember about the collision; and
- Obtaining a copy of the official police report.
If you were seriously injured or lost a loved one in a motor-vehicle collision, you probably have a lot of questions, and the injury attorneys at Donaldson & Weston can answer all of them. We have assisted hundreds of clients throughout Florida in personal injury and wrongful death cases.
We understand the emotional and financial toll a serious accident can take on the entire family, and we want to help. Call 772-266-5555 or fill out our Contact Form to schedule a free consultation with an accident lawyer in Martin County.