Palm Beach County Bicycle Accident
Every time you hop on your bike and start pedaling to work, school, or some other destination, you’re doing your part to reduce carbon emissions. Unfortunately, you’re also putting yourself at risk of serious injury and even death, especially when riding alongside traffic.
Cycling near motor vehicles is inherently dangerous. Over recent years, cell phones and other distractions have made the roads especially hazardous for those on two wheels.
Even if you follow all traffic laws, you could still get struck by a drunk, distracted, or reckless motorist. And since bikes provide no protection whatsoever from the force of impact, the consequences will likely be catastrophic.
If you were hurt in a bicycle crash through no fault of your own, contact Donaldson & Weston. Our attorneys understand how sudden injuries can cause stress and financial hardship for accident victims and their families. Call 772-266-5555 to schedule a free case evaluation with one of the leading bicycle accident lawyers in Palm Beach County.Damages That Might Be Recoverable in Florida Bicycle Accident Claims
If you were hurt in a bicycle accident caused by someone else’s negligence and decide to file a personal injury claim, the total compensation you may be able to recover will depend on a variety of factors. While there is no universal formula for calculating a fair settlement, the types of damages that might be available are the same from one case to the next. Such damages include:
- Medical Expenses: You may be able to include all healthcare expenses stemming from the accident in your claim. The at-fault party might be liable for any costs associated with ambulance transport, emergency room care, diagnostic imaging, surgery, and prescription medication. You can also pursue compensation for future and ongoing medical expenses like physical therapy and rehabilitation.
- Lost Income: If you miss work due to your injuries, you can include all lost wages in the settlement negotiations. If the injuries are so severe that you are unable to resume your old position—or return to work at all—you can also seek compensation for lost benefits, loss of earning capacity, and vocational training.
- Domestic Help: Accident victims often need help with chores, errands, and childcare while they are recovering. The cost of this assistance can be included in the settlement calculations.
- Property Damage: The value of the bike, helmet, and any gear that was damaged in the accident might be recoverable.
- Pain and Suffering: Injured parties may be entitled to compensation for the non-economic damages they incur in the wake of the accident. In addition to pain and suffering, such damages might include emotional distress, mental anguish, loss of enjoyment of life, scarring, disfigurement, and physical impairment.
All the damages listed above are known as “compensatory damages” because they essentially reimburse claimants for costs that they incur as a direct result of the accident. In certain scenarios, plaintiffs are also awarded punitive damages, which aim to punish the defendant for especially egregious behavior.Discuss Your Claim with a Bicycle Accident Attorney in Palm Beach County
If you want to sue the motorist who is responsible for the bicycle accident that caused you serious injury, turn to Donaldson & Weston. Our law firm is composed of tough, experienced, and strategic litigators who have a good reputation in both the legal field and our community. Call 772-266-5555 or use our Online Contact Form to set up a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer in Palm Beach County.