Qualities to Look for in a West Palm Beach Wrongful Death Attorney
The consequences of a wrongful death in the family extend well beyond the emotional trauma. You may also be facing exorbitant funeral and burial expenses, lost income, medical bills, and other miscellaneous costs. If your financial security is at stake, it’s important that you find a West Palm Beach wrongful death lawyer who has the experience and tenacity to provide effective representation.
Read on to learn a few qualities to consider when hiring an attorney to handle your case:
- Experience Handling Wrongful Death Cases: Many attorneys accept wrongful death claims, but not all of them have an extensive background in this particular area of law. There can be a world of difference between a personal injury claim and a wrongful death case. In fact, each wrongful death claim is unique, so the attorney you hire should have an in-depth knowledge of the case law, statutes, and proceedings that pertain to your particular case. Ask about wrongful death claims the lawyer has handled in the past that involved the same type of accident and similar damages.
- Positive Online Reviews: Were past clients satisfied with the legal services provided by the lawyer? One way to find out is to look at Google and other review sites for testimonials. Try to find reviews written by clients who needed representation in a wrongful death claim. If most of the testimonials relate to divorce law, criminal law, or another area of law, this might indicate that wrongful death cases make up just a small portion of the attorney’s caseload, which could mean he or she isn’t well-versed in the relevant case law and statutes.
- A Track Record of Success in Court: A skilled trial lawyer will know how to give your case an edge during settlement negotiations by preparing for court before the negotiations even begin. And if the opposing party is unwilling to pay a fair settlement, you’ll have more confidence taking your case to trial if the attorney representing you has a history of success in court.
There’s always a lot to do after the death of a loved one. With so much on your plate, it’s not easy to focus on legal proceedings, but it’s important that you’re careful about what you say and do until your case has been resolved because one mistake could be all it takes to cause a dispute.
Our West Palm Beach wrongful death attorneys can help you understand and avoid the most common mistakes that claimants make during these proceedings. Examples include:
- Providing the insurance company with a recorded statement;
- Discussing the circumstances surrounding the wrongful death on social media; and
- Failing to track your damages and keep records of costs related to the death such as funeral expenses.
There are many other oversights and errors that could lead to a complication or delay. Our lawyers will do everything in their power to make sure the claims process goes smoothly and the insurance company treats you fairly.