Riviera Beach Wrongful Death Lawyers
When family members undergo routine medical procedures, we expect them to come home in better condition than they were in before. We certainly do not expect them to face life-threatening complications while under the care of experienced doctors.
Likewise, it’s reasonable to assume that loved ones will make it to their destination safely after getting behind the wheel. It’s also reasonable to assume that the stairs in front of their building are sturdy and their employers follow all industry safety standards.
Such assumptions are usually right, but when they happen to be wrong, the consequences can be devastating. Medical malpractice, motor-vehicle collisions, and slip and fall accidents are just a few of the most common ways to sustain unintentional injuries, which are a leading cause of death in the United States.
If your relative died because of someone else’s negligence, your family may be entitled to compensation for all resulting damages. Contact Donaldson & Weston to determine how best to proceed.
Our personal injury attorneys will evaluate the circumstances of the fatal incident to help you identify all liable parties so you can hold them accountable. Call 561-299-3999 to schedule a free consultation with one of our Riviera Beach wrongful death lawyers.Do I Have Grounds for a Wrongful Death Claim?
Typically, a family will have grounds for a wrongful death claim if the deceased would have had a valid personal injury claim had he or she survived the incident that ultimately proved to be fatal. In most cases, that means negligence must have played a role in the accident; however, criminal violence and defective products can also give rise to valid wrongful death claims.
If you have any reason to believe that negligence played a role in your loved one’s death, it is worth talking to a personal injury lawyer at Donaldson & Weston. We offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose by speaking to an attorney at our firm.How Much Is My Case Worth?
It is wise to enter the proceedings with an ideal settlement amount in mind so you can determine if the opposing party’s initial offer is remotely close to fair. Your wrongful death attorney will begin the claim by tallying any costs you have incurred as a result of the loss and then calculating an acceptable figure for all non-economic damages; however, there is no way to predict how a case might evolve once the proceedings are underway.
Even the most experienced lawyers cannot promise to achieve a particular outcome for clients because the claims process is inherently complicated. During your first meeting, you might discuss potential outcomes based on the facts of the case and local statutes, but a reputable attorney will not guarantee any kind of payout.Qualities to Look for in a Riviera Beach Wrongful Death Attorney
- A Track Record of Success: We put this at the top of the list for a reason; the number-one factor to consider before hiring a wrongful death lawyer in Riviera Beach is the results he or she has achieved in similar cases. Ask the prospective attorney about the settlements and verdicts he or she has won for clients in the past, as well as the cases he or she has lost.
- Experience Handling Similar Cases: Even if the attorney has represented dozens of clients in wrongful death claims, that doesn’t mean he or she has helped clients in your particular situation. There’s a multitude of factors that distinguish one wrongful death case from the next: the types of damages incurred, the amount of compensation being sought, the type of defendant (a private citizen, a corporation, a government entity, etc.), and the cause of death—to name a few. Make sure the attorney you hire understands the case law, statutes, and procedures that pertain to your case, and ask about the strategies he or she will employ to pursue the best possible outcome.
- Dedication to Clients: The most accomplished attorneys put their clients first. They don’t mind working overtime, after office hours, and on weekends to ensure a claim is as strong as it can be. They’ll also return calls and emails promptly. Find out how long the lawyer usually takes to return calls, and ask if you’ll be able to reach him or her after office hours and on weekends if you have questions.
- Recommended by Past Clients: Just because a friend or family member recommends a particular lawyer doesn’t mean the attorney is the right fit for your case. However, it’s a good idea to find out what past clients are saying by reading testimonials. The Riviera Beach wrongful death lawyer whom you hire should have at least a few dozen online reviews, and the vast majority should be positive. Check that at least a few of the reviews pertain to wrongful death cases. This is a good indicator that the attorney has the experience to provide effective representation.
- Works on a Contingency Fee Basis: Most wrongful death attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, but it’s not unheard-of for a lawyer to work for a flat fee or on an hourly billing schedule. From the perspective of the client, a contingency fee is by far the best arrangement because it’s not uncommon for an unexpected dispute to arise that demands extra time from the lawyer. If you hire an attorney on a contingency fee contract, he or she will have incentive to devote the time and resources needed to pursue the best possible outcome.
- Honesty: Your attorney should discuss not only the strengths of your case but also its weaknesses. If the lawyer seems only to be saying what you want to hear to secure your business, it may be best to hire a different law firm.
- Professional yet Compassionate: Although your lawyer should be professional and ask the necessary questions to provide helpful insight about your case, he or she should also be compassionate. If you don’t think the lawyer has a personal interest in your situation, you might not feel comfortable working with him or her for several months.
If you want to file a wrongful death claim in Florida, turn to Donaldson & Weston for tenacious representation during every stage of the proceedings. We have assisted hundreds of clients in personal injury and wrongful death cases. Call 561-299-3999 or fill out our Contact Form to schedule a free case evaluation with one of our strategic Riviera Beach wrongful death attorneys.