West Palm Beach Distracted Driving Accidents
A distracted driver is a dangerous driver, since even a moment looking away from the road can result in serious injuries to other motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists. Even on residential roads traveled frequently in West Palm Beach, low-speed collisions can cause significant harm to victims. The West Palm Beach distracted driving accident lawyers at Donaldson & Weston are committed to ensuring that careless drivers are held accountable for the collisions that they cause. Our distracted driving accident attorneys represent people who were injured or lost a loved one in pursuing proper legal action to receive the monetary compensation necessary in their recovery. If you need legal assistance following a serious car accident, contact our office today to find out more about how we can assist you.Consequences of Distracted Driving in West Palm Beach
According to information gathered by The Palm Beach Post, injuries and collisions attributable to distracted driving in Palm Beach County rose by nine percent from 2015 to 2016. Additionally, crash records indicated that fatalities associated with these types of accidents were also on the rise. Specifically, injuries linked to texting drivers rose 45 percent in Palm Beach County. Statewide, distracted driving accidents increased by 10 percent from 2015 to 2016, according to statistics provided by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
Although many accidents are caused by a driver texting, other distractions are equally unsafe when a driver engages in them, including:
- Drinking or eating;
- Talking with passengers;
- Applying makeup, shaving, or handling other grooming practices; or
- Programming navigational and GPS devices.
A driver who is distracted even for a few seconds can cause catastrophic injuries to those around them, especially when traveling at high speeds or during rush hour traffic. Drivers who are careless behind the wheel, leading to injuries, should be held legally liable for their actions with the assistance of a distracted driving accident attorney in West Palm Beach.Holding Distracted Drivers Responsible
A driver distracted by something inside or outside their vehicle may be held liable for injuries caused by their negligence. To show negligence, a victim must prove that the defendant driver breached a duty to exercise due care, which caused the victim’s injuries and resulted in damages. When a driver is preoccupied with a navigational system and not paying attention to road conditions on a highway, for example, they may be viewed as not acting as a reasonable driver would act under the circumstances.
If negligence is established, a victim may recover compensation for past and future medical expenses, property loss, diminished earning capacity, lost income, and pain and suffering damages. Under Florida law, personal injury lawsuits must be pursued within four years of the date of the injury. Even if a victim is partially responsible for causing their own injuries, financial compensation may still be available. Following a pure comparative fault scheme of liability, Florida awards damages based on each party’s proportion of fault. For instance, an injured victim found 35 percent accountable for causing an accident may still be compensated for the remaining 65 percent of their losses from another negligent party.Contact a Distracted Driving Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach
Distracted driving accidents are unfortunately on the rise in West Palm Beach, and victims of these collisions are often left with serious injuries for which they need financial assistance to cope. The car accident lawyers at Donaldson & Weston have extensive experience making sure that negligent drivers are held legally accountable to their victims. From the initial investigation of the scene of an accident until the final conclusion of a claim, our West Palm Beach distracted driving accident attorneys are dedicated to each and every client. If you or a loved one has been injured by a distracted driver, call our office today at (772) 266-5555 or contact us online to set up a no-cost, risk-free appointment to discuss your legal options.